Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Daring Bakers - Flipping Fried Patties - Potato Rösti





February 14th - hopefully I will have come up with an elegant meal plan for my lovely wife (and son) by the time this blog post goes live.  Now on to something a little less elegant though - patties!

The Daring Cooks’ February 2012 challenge was hosted by Audax & Lis and they chose to present Patties for their ease of construction, ingredients and deliciousness! We were given several recipes, and learned the different types of binders and cooking methods to produce our own tasty patties!

I love these open challenges - it inspires so much creativity and also allows people to show off regional foods from around the world.  Of course I only like the creativity in other people - I have not been feeling very creative myself.  Especially when Audax posts so many good recipes that I would like to try.  I decided to try his recipe for Potato Rösti
.
If you don't know Potato Rösti is a dish from Switzerland and is similar to hash browns.  It was typically a breakfast food but is also served at other meals.  Part of the reason I decided to make the rösti is because my wife and I traveled to Switzerland several years ago so I thought it might be a nice memory of that.  I have not had a lot of rösti (and I understand there is a lot of variation) but if I had to say what the difference between them and hash browns is I would say the rösti is typically more of a patty - and the rösti is probably made a little thicker.

I looked at several rösti recipes and Audax's recipe was a little different.  None of the recipes I found had egg or flour in them.  I decided to go with Audax's recipe since he has not steered me wrong yet.  I did make one change to the recipe - I added a diced onion to the potatoes for a little more flavor.

The rösti came out just like I remembered them.  They were wonderful.  I think the secret to good rösti  is to cook it low and slow.  That way they turn out nice and crispy on the outside but nice and creamy on the inside.  

Thanks to Audax and Lis for this months challenge and all the patty recipes - there are definitely some interesting looking recipes I would like to try in the future.  If you would like to try out the rösti or any of the other patty recipes from this month check out the Daring Cooks recipe archive.

11 comments:

Testado Provado Aprovado said...

I was tempted to make Rösti too, but I was more in a Korean mood :) Yours looks perfect and fantastic. I wonder how delicious it was with the addition of the onions. Great job!

Barb Glennie said...

I didn't try the rosti but reading your past has me wanting to now! It looks amazing.

Renee Foy said...

Looks perfect!  I may need to try this.  Great job!

Ness [Six One and Then Some] said...

They look great! Anything involving potato and onion is a winner with me :)

Vanisha Sritharan said...

Your rosti looks fantastic! Also loving how it sorta resembles a pizza! :D well done on the challenge!

Audax Artifex said...

It is wonderful to hear you are enjoying the Daring Kitchen so much and that the rosti worked out so well and that the recipe was so well received by you and the family. I think the egg and flour helps with the taste (and the binding also). Thank you for participating in this month's challenge. Cheers from Audax in Sydney Australia. 

Wolf said...

I figured you could add onions to the rostis as well, since they were so very similar to latkes.}:P

Lagalletika said...

Your rosti look amazing I am going to try your recipe soon

Mary said...

It looks wonderful, and how great to recreate something from your trip to Switzerland. :)

Jo said...

Looks like your rosti turned out wonderfully, and what a great way to remember your trip!

AleksandraRybinska said...

Looks so delicious! i love potato rosti! :)