Monday, June 28, 2010

Father's Day Part 2: Southern Banana Pudding



Here is the promised Father's day part two - dessert. My Dad was born and raised in Paducah, Kentucky and anyone from the south knows how common banana pudding is. I used to have it all the time while growing up as it was something my grandmother made quite a bit - but I have not had it much as an adult. I was just talking about it with my parents - discussing what makes a good banana pudding (instant pudding should not be on the ingredient list - and preferably no boxed pudding). I don't think I had decided to make it for father's day at that point - but then a blog I follow - The Brown Eyed Baker - posted a recipe for Southern Banana Pudding that looked delicious so I just had to try it out.

I doubled up the recipe for 9 people and had no trouble getting rid of this one. It has been a long time since I have had my grandmothers banana pudding but this was a lot like I remembered it. The only difference was that I don't think she ever used whipped cream. My father said she often put a meringue on top so try that for a variation if you like but the whipped cream was good too.

I won't post the recipe on my blog - just click here to get it directly from the Brown Eyed Baker. If you like cooking then definitely check out her blog - it is one of my favorites.



1 comment:

Joe Ambrosino said...

This is a little like a poor man's tiramisu, wouldn't you say?