Thursday, August 13, 2009

Barefoot Bloggers: Mango Banana Daiquiris



It has been a busy summer. We are going on a vacation in a week and this one kind of snuck up on me. I decided to make tonight barefoot blogger night and I made both of this months recipes tonight - and they are both fabulous.

I made the daiquiris virgin. My wife and I are not big drinkers and I didn't have any rum so I just decided to go without. It was very simple to put together. Just throw everything in the blender and blend - add ice and blend again - that's it!

This recipe reminds me of my trip to the Philippines around five years ago. It is normally very warm in the Philippines and one of the great things they had to tame the heat was a Mango shake. They called them shakes but I think they were just mango and ice. My favorite was a green mango shake - they use green mangos and the shake comes out nice and tart. This recipe kind of reproduces that tartness with the lime juice.

This recipe also got two thumbs up from the two year old. He loved it and kept asking for more.

Thanks to Veronica at Supermarket Serenade for this months recipe. Check out her blog for tips on buying the Mangos for this recipe.

Mango Banana Daiquiris
(Source: Back to Basics, page 47)
serves 4

Ingredients
  • 2 cups chopped ripe mango (1 to 2 mangos, peeled and seeded)
  • 1 ripe banana, chopped
  • 1/2 cup fresh squeezed lime juice (4 limes)
  • 1/4 cup sugar syrup*
  • 1 1/4 cups dark rum, such as Mount Gay
  • Mango slices, for serving
Directions
  1. Place the mango, banana, lime juice, sugar syrup, and rum in a blender and process until smooth. Add 2 cups of ice and process again until smooth and thick. Serve ice-cold in highball glasses with the mango slices.
*To make simple syrup, heat 1 cup sugar and 1 cup water in a small saucepan until the sugar dissolves. Chill.

3 comments:

Kathy Walker said...

These were delicious! Great picture!

Veronica said...

I'm so glad you liked the Daiquiris...I actually liked them a lot without the rum...I think they are a great breakfast drink. Cheers!

Stirge said...

I happened to have a bottle of premium rum that I won at a golf outing. The drink was a big hit here.